MG (Morris Garages) began as a promotional offshoot of W. R. Morris’s original retail sales and service business in Oxford by the business manager Cecil Kimber in 1923.
The earliest MG was the 14/28, which consisted of a new sporting body on a Morris Oxford chassis, introduced in 1924. Though, the first car which was a completely new MG rather than a modified Morris was the 18/80 of 1928. All of the earliest MG models produced were two-seater sports cars.
Except for the duration of the Second World War, for some 56 years since its inception in 1923, the original MG marque was in continuous use.
The MG business was William Morris’s personal property until 1 July 1935 when he sold MG to his holding company, Morris Motors Limited. MG underwent a number of changes in ownership starting with Morris merging with Austin of the British Motor Corporation (BMC) in 1952. In 1967, MG became the MG Division of BMC and so a component of the 1968 merger that created the British Leyland Motor Corporation.
By 2000, MG was part of the MG Rover Group, which entered receivership in 2005, with the assets and the MG brand being purchased by the Nanjing Automobile Group (which merged into SAIC in 2008) for £53 million.
Production restarted in 2007 in China and later at the Longbridge plant in the UK under the current manufacturer MG Motors. The MG 6 was the first all new MG model produced in the UK for 16 years being officially launched on 26 June 2011.
RENT AN MG FROM CLASSIC PARADE
We stock a number of MG vehicles for hire around London and the UK. Take a look at our selection below. All come with a FREE DOORSTEP DELIVERY & COLLECTION SERVICE, as well as a GUARANTEED GOLD VIP SERVICE. We are OPEN 24/7, so please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
All calls are recorded for training and monitoring purposes.